Friday, September 1, 2017

You look good for how sick you......

On Monday, I called the Melanoma Clinic mainly because Mary wanted me to. I told them I had belly pain and had a distended hard belly. I had no fever or any other symptoms. I told them I had just flown home from Las Vegas and wanted to update them on my visit to the Urgent Care there. They asked if I had any shortness of breath and I said yes and that the small cough I had had just started today. The nurse said she would talk to my oncologist and get back to me. She called at 5:30 pm and said the doctor wanted me to head to the ER and that he was most concerned about the shortness of breath. (What I didn't know at the time was that most deaths for Stage IV Melanoma patients are from pulmonary embolisms and blood clots to the heart or brain.)

I was immediately taken into the ER and on my way for an ultrasound test of my legs and a CT scan of my chest and abdomen. No thrombosis were found but my liver was significantly swollen. Several indicators in my blood work up did not look good. The decision was made to keep me for observation. However, the medical floor did not want to accept me and wanted me sent to ICU. The ER doc did not think that was necessary so I spent 3 hours in the ER Critical Care Unit before I could be sent to the med floor. The ER doctor explained that if you looked at my paperwork on the computer only you would say I was a critical care patient that needed to be in the ICU. He sad however he had seen me and talked to me for several hours. While I am critically ill I did not need to be in the ICU. So I eventually went to the med floor by 6:30 am.

After a more through review of the CT scan, they still don't know the reason for the swelling. It is one of two things. One is that the TACE procedure is working and my.liver is struggling to get rid of dead tissue. Secondly it could be that the tumors have grown significantly. The review of the scan cannot be conclusive at this time. So we will have to wait for a few weeks to let my liver settle down and the repeat he scans in the hope of getting a better view.

In the meantime, more pain meds and I have been removed from all high blood pressure meds and diabetes meds to help allow my live to settle down. Have to admit that I am tired and nervous about what the future holds for the next few weeks. However, there is not much that can be done but to rely on the loving hands of God.

Once again thanks for all your prayers, love and care for me and my family.........

No comments:

Post a Comment